Queer Stories from the NGV Exhibition (National Gallery of Victoria)

Photo by Ponch Hawkes. No title (Women holding hands in front of graffiti, 'Lesbians are lovely') (1973); printed (2018) – as seen in Queer Stories exhibition, 2022. I've been to the Queer Stories exhibition twice - because you need to give it a good deal of concentrated time. I had imagined there'd be plenty of images like this wonderful photo by Ponch Hawkes - yet this kind of loving, fun, 'lesbians are lovely' representation was rare, in fact the above, and Ponch Hawkes' second exhibit below, was all I found of this 1970s tone. Yet there's masses to see, and something for everyone, from outrageous fashion (I really liked the tuxedo jacket and trousers designed for women) ... to statues from antiquity. Two of my favourite Sapphists, Vita Sackville-West and Virginia Woolf, had a singular spot on the wall, and there were some very interesting women artists I hadn't known about. To my great surprise, I came across a display case containing an album of photo portraits by Edna Walling. It was like finding an old friend! I took some poor quality pics (it was dark and my camera and skills poor) - of this and other highlights which I'll add below. If you live around Melbourne, I recommend taking a look.
Above Ponch Hawkes No title (Two women embracing, 'Glad to be gay') (1973); printed (2018). Below - A portrait of lifetime friend/companion Lorna Fielden by Edna Walling, from her protrait photo album.
Virginia Woolf - and Vita Sackville-West
Apolgies for the v poor quality of the pics, and of course these pics are copyright, which is why I've left them thus. Do go along if you can. Now showing until August, free entry. Otherwise - you can find out lots more here: https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/media_release/queer-new-exhibition-reveals-untold-stories-from-the-ngv-collection/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room - a Tape Recorder - and a Ghetto Cabaret. Theatre Lives! - at fortyfive downstairs

Bubbling over

Anzac Day 25th April