M is for Miriam and...

Miriam Margolyes has written a wonderful memoir called This Much Is True, it's delightful and provocative and (as usual with Miriam) gobsmackingly truthful. She's had a long fascinating career - and life. A highly entertaining read with fascinating observations - and tantalising gossipy insights. Highly recommended. October 9th was Love Your Bookshop Day otherwise known as Celebrate Your Bookshop Week (I just made that second bit up but - why not?!). The letter 'M' is also for Marketing, the truly ghastly process of trying to get one's book noticed after the long slog of writing it and getting it published. So I was so elated when Graeme Aitken of The Bookshop Darlinghurst, sent me this link to a Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras website page. https://www.mardigras.org.au/news/love-your-bookshop-day Graeme has selected five new Australian titles for recommendation - Miriam Margolyes memoir is top of the list, and my novel, A Secretive Life, is fifth. In between comes Tank Water by Michael Burge, Anything but Fine by Tobias Madden, and All About Yves: Notes from a Transition by Yves Rees (who won the Australian Book Review essay prize last year, I think it was, for a brilliant, must read, essay on the same topic). So what fabulous company my novel finds itself in! It's so hard, when you're self published, to get any sort of traction for your book because the formal type of reviewer in newspapers, radio and magazines rarely wants to know you. There's only so much time and space, so it's the established publishers who get through the door, and even they have to work hard to get chosen. My IndieMosh publisher says it takes time for the word of mouth to travel (literally or via pesky algorithms) - be patient! Guess what Margaret Atwood said when she was asked what a writer needed. She replied 'Patience, and a good ergonomic chair!' I've had some lovely feedback about my novel in the month or so since its been published. Mainly from friends - but here's the first one I've received from a complete stranger. It's from Ronnie Turner, Aotearoa New Zealand: 'Just finished reading A Secretive Life ... such a lovely read! I have read some pretty disappointing lesbian fiction over the years, so I picked it up wondering how ho hum it might be. How unfair of me! Loved the weaving of historical figures/ places/ events throughout. The lack of visibility, the constant awareness of one’s safety, countered by resilience and joy and love - I thoroughly enjoyed it.' Happy book buying. I will post a brief vignette about some of the real characters featured in the novel over the coming weeks (as with Dolly Wilde) - so turn a blind eye if you don't want to know what they really look like.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Secretive-Life-Sara-Hardy-ebook/dp/B09DKLSH93

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Room - a Tape Recorder - and a Ghetto Cabaret. Theatre Lives! - at fortyfive downstairs

Bubbling over

Anzac Day 25th April